The Church of St John-at-Hackney is situated in the London Borough of Hackney. It was built in 1792, in an open field, north east of Hackney's medieval parish church, of which only St Augustine's Tower remains. Separated by the southern extension of Lower Clapton Road, it looks north to the late Georgian Clapton Square.
The Church of St John-at-Hackney was designed by James Spiller and built in 1792. At this time, Hackney Parish was the largest in Middlesex. The vast and classical style building, on a Greek Cross plan, can hold around 2,000 people. The former churchyard is now a complex of gardens that was awarded Heritage Green Site status in 2008. The building is Grade II* listed and houses monuments dating from Tudor times – transferred from the former church – and other more recent memorials.