Chrisp Street Market was designed by Frederick Gibberd, and built as part of the Festival of Britain in 1951. It is located in Poplar in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, and forms part of the eastern edge of the Lansbury Estate. There are 80 market stalls. It was the first purpose-built pedestrian shopping area in the UK. It features a prominent clock tower, shops, small retail outlets, cafes, market stalls and apartments. East End of London favourites such as pie and mash are available alongside Chinese and Indian food outlets.
In the early 2000s its library was closed and replaced with a larger 'Idea Store' designed by David Adjaye, a place for lifelong learning with computers and rooms for community use. The Tower Hamlets London Borough Council transferred ownership of the shopping arcades along with the rest of the Lansbury Estate to Poplar HARCA, a locally-based housing association, in 2006. This association commissioned architects to draw up a master plan for the market.