Belford is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England about halfway between Alnwick and Berwick-upon-Tweed, a few miles inland from the east coast and just off the Great North Road, the A1. It has a population of 1,055.Belford is surrounded by rich pastoral farmland, and to the west of The Village is found one of the better rock climbing locations in the county, Bowden Doors.
Belford Hall:Belford Hall is a Grade I listed building, an 18th century Mansion House.The Manor of Belford was acquired by the Dixon family in 1726 and in 1752 Abraham Dixon built a mansion house in a Palladian style to a design by architect James Paine. In 1770 heiress Margaret Dixon married William Brown. Their daughter later married Newcastle upon Tyne merchant, Lt. Col. William Clark, Deputy Lieutenant and High Sheriff of Northumberland who, in 1818, remodelled the house and added two new wings, with the assistance of architect John Dobson.
An extensive park, created in the mid 18th century, retains several original features and has been designated a conservation area. An 18th century folly in The Park is a Grade II listed building. During World War II the Hall was requisitioned by the Army and thereafter became neglected and dilapidated. In the 1980s it was acquired by the Northern Heritage Trust, renovated and restored and converted to residential flats.
Spindlestone Ducket Mill:
This is located about 3 km east of Belford, and is an 18th century tapering cylindrical stone tower with a conical roof of Welsh slate. Its usage is uncertain, being sometimes classified as a windmill and sometimes as a dovecote.
Westhall is a privately owned Victorian house built in the style of the castellated fortified house that it replaced on the same site. The moat that surrounded the original building can still clearly be seen. It is now in use as a farmhouse.
The Anglican Church of St Mary in Belford is a stone building in the Early English style. The tower contains two bells.The church stands on a hill overlooking the village. It was originally built in about 1200, then rebuilt in 1615. Renovation was carried out in 1700 and 1828.There is also a United Reformed Church in Belford.