Ambleside is a town in Cumbria, in North West England. Historically within the county of Westmorland, it is situated at the head of Windermere, England's largest lake. The town is within the Lake District National Park.Steamers (in reality diesel-powered ferries) run to Bowness-on-Windermere and Lakeside offering fine views of the lake and surrounding mountains.
Ambleside is a base for hiking, mountaineering and mountain biking. It has a number of hotels, guest houses, pubs and restaurants as well as shops. In particular, there are a number of shops selling equipment for walkers and climbers in the town.
Bridge House - Bridge House was built over Stock Ghyll more than 300 years ago probably as a summer house and apple store for Ambleside Hall.It was purchased by local people in 1926 and given to the National Trust.
University of Cumbria - The Ambleside campus of the University of Cumbria, formerly St. Martin's College and Charlotte Mason College, can be found at the northern end of the town; courses held at the campus include teacher training, leisure and outdoor studies.
St Mary's Church- Prior to the seventeenth century the dead of Ambleside were buried at St Martin's Church, Bowness-on-Windermere. Ambleside then gained the right to its own registers and had a a chapel dedicated to St Anne. This was too small to accommodate the enlarged Anglican congregations as tourism developed following the opening of the Kendal and Windermere Railway in 1847.