The ancient fortress of Siwa, built on natural rock (an inselberg), made of salt, mud-brick and palm logs and known as the Shali Ghadi ("Shali" being the name of the town, and "Ghadi" meaning remote), although now mostly abandoned and 'melted', remains a prominent feature, towering five stories above the modern town.
The ruins of this 13th-century mudbrick fortress are made of Large chunks of salt mixed with rock & plastered in clay which is locally known as kershef'. The labyrinth of buildings were originally four to five floors high housing hundreds of people. However, a mere 3 days of rains in 1926 caused more damage to the Shali Desert Fortress than any invasion ever did. Currently, just a few blocks around edges are occupied & used for storage alongside an old mosque featuring a chimney shaped minaret