A town located on the foothills of the Šumava Mountains. It was founded in the early 14th century next to a salt merchants´ route. The Gothic Church of St. James (Jakub) is the dominant of the town. The town flourished especially in the16th century; at that time, sizeable fortifications with bastions and the Písek Gate were built along with numerous grand houses with sgraffito decorations in the Renaissance style.
The literary school with galleries, the Town Hall uniquely decorated with chiaroscuro (shadow wall paintings), the Sitter’s House (currently housing the Museum of Prachatice), the Rosenberg House, the Hus House, and the building of the former salt market are among the Most significant architectural sights of the town.
After the Battle on the White Mountain (1620), the economic growth of the town was interrupted and Prachatice lost its status of a royal town. The most important annual cultural event is the Festival of the Golden Salt Route, commemorating medieval salt trade between Prachatice and Passau, Germany. The nearby Šumava mountain range is an attractive destination in and of itself.