Komiža (Comisa) is a Croatian coastal town lying on the western coast of the island of Vis in the central part of the Adriatic Sea. As of 2011 Komiža proper has a population of 1,375 while the entire municipality has 1,509 residents. Komiža is located at the foot of the Hum hill (587 m). An average air temperature in January is 8.9 °C (48 °F). Economy is based on farming, winemaking, fishing and fish processing, seafaring and in recent times on tourism. The fisherman are noted for their Falkuša vessels. Komiža has two roads that connect it with the town of Vis, the only town being connected with Split by ferry line - they are the D117 state road and a county road.
Situated in a deep bay, whose eastern coast abounds with large pebble beaches (Kamenica, Gusarica, Nova Pošta, Velo Žalo), Komiža offers excellent visitor opportunities: quality accommodation (hotel, apartments), a number of cultural and historic sites, monasteries and fortresses. It is famous for its fishermen (fishermen from Komiža are also known in San Pedro, California. Many families of Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana have ancestors that came from Komiža, Dalmatia a century and half ago. so that fish and other seafood are traditionally served daily. Traditionally the fisherman used the falkuša, a unique wooden sailboat that is tapered narrowly on both ends.
Sports and recreational facilities include three boccia courts, as well as various playgrounds for basketball, handball and football. Water sports and diving are part of the towns summer activities. Komiža is famous for its wines.
The settlement of Komiža was first mentioned in the 12th century. In the 13th century, the Benedictines established the St. Nicholas Monastery on elevated ground above the settlement. The oldest part of the monastery is a single-naved Romanesque church with a semi-circular apse dating from the 13th century.
In the period between the 14th and 17th century a large five-naved church was built: its central nave dates back to the beginning of the 16th century and the large Baroque sanctuary to 1652. Two high square towers in Romanesque style are what is left from the original monastery fortifications; the tower above the church facade was converted into a bell tower in 1770. The citadel in the port was built in 1585.
The church of Our Lady of Pirates consists of three single-naved churches connected via internal arches. The oldest of the three is the middle church (16th century), while the side churches were built in the 17th and the 18th centuries. The church features Baroque altars, an organ from 1670 and a 17th-century silver relief of Our Lady of the Rosary.