A friendly sleepy town located on an island over the Magdalena River, Santa Cruz de Mompox in the historic colonial past has been the main resting port for ships plying between Magdalena and Honda. Featuring some of the best colonial architecture in Colombia, this island home to over 30,000 residents had been neglected as a tourist destination in the past. With construction of the new bridge at El Banco, which will make Santa Cruz de Mompox accessible from the Bogota-Santa Marta Road, this historic island town is destined to attract hordes of local and international tourists from now on.
Recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, some of the historic structures in Santa Cruz de Mompox include the San Francisco Church built in 1564, the San Juan de Dios Hospital founded in 1550, the City Hall, the Municipal Palace, the Santa Barbara Church, the House of Apostles and the Church of Immaculate Conception. Festivities during Christmas and the Holy Week are extensively celebrated here with pomp and glory when scores of devotees gather here from all surrounding areas.