Geyuan Temple is a Buddhist temple located in Laiyuan, Hebei Province, China. The temple consists of three main buildings and other auxiliary structures. The main hall of the temple, the Wenshu Hall dates from 966 CE.
Very little is known about the temple’s history. Most of what is known have been from studying the stele at the temple and a local historical account written in 1875 called the Laiyuanxian Zhi. Geyuan Temple was first founded in the Han Dynasty, destroyed, and then rebuilt during the Tang Dynasty. The octagonal pillar at the temple, the oldest of the current structures at the Wenshu Hall, dates to 966 of the Liao Dynasty. The temple’s construction was funded by a patron called Li Yuanchao, who helped found the Later Tang Dynasty. Another stele from 1568 also confirms the founding date to be during the Liao dynasty. Repairs were made from 1324 to 1327, during the Ming Dynasty, in 1507, and then during the Jiajing period (1522-1567).