The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, more often colloquially referred to as Xizhimen Church, is a Roman Catholic Church located on the southern side at n.130 of Xizhimen Neidajie in Beijing. It is commonly referred to as Xitang (the West Church) to the locals.
The church at Xizhimen was the last among the four historic Catholic churches in Beijing. The West Church was first established in 1723 by the Italian Lazarist missionary Teodorico Pedrini: it was the first non-Jesuit church in Beijing.
After Pedrini's death the church was run by Carmelites and then Augustinians, who were there when it was destroyed in 1811. The church was rebuilt in 1867. After a second destruction in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion, it was built again in 1912 as we can see it today.Delicate Collins pillars and Gothic peaked arches inside the church create a grand, elegant and solemn impression upon visitors.