Waverley Park is a public park located in the north end of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. It is the second oldest municipal park in Ontario. The park forms the centre of the Waverley Park Heritage Conservation District, a collection of historical homes, churches, schools, and other buildings at the centre of Port Arthur.
The property was surveyed and set aside as parkland by the Crown Lands Department, in the original ordnance survey of the Prince Arthur's Landing town plot in 1871. It was given to the city of Port Arthur in 1907 on the condition that is "not be alienated or leased and that no buildings be erected on it except municipal buildings".The most notable features of Waverley Park include its giant cottonwood trees, which stand as much as 40 m above the park.
In recent years, many have been removed due to advanced age and disease. Other notable features include a fountain, cenotaph, and bandshell. The park is between Waverley Street and Red River Road in Thunder Bay, and is located between two historic schools — Port Arthur Collegiate Institute and Port Arthur Central School — the latter is now home to Magnus Theatre.
The centrepiece of Waverley Park is the Hogarth Fountain. A gift from the wife of a prominent soldier and politician, Major General Donald McDonald Hogarth (1879–1950), the fountain originated from the Luton Hoo Mansion, in the town of Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England. Its ten tonne Portland stone foundation dates back to 1790. The fountain was purchased and shipped to Waverly Park in 1964, and dedicated on 5 June 1965.The fountain features nude children in a renaissance style, along with bundles of wheat and garlands of flowers. The water pours from the mouths of lions mounted above leaves which deflect the water away from the center and out into the pool.
The Rotary Thundershell is a large wooden bandshell located in the west corner of the park, behind the gymnasium of Port Arthur Collegiate Institute. The bandshell was built in 1984 and for many years was home to the weekly Summer in the Parks concert series. Its construction was financed using donations from various local groups and companies, which are commemorated on a plaque located on the bandshell.