The Fur Trade at Lachine National Historic Site is a historic building located in the borough of Lachine in Montreal
, at the western end of the Lachine Canal
. It is a National Historic Site of Canada.
Beginning in the 17th century, voyageurs would launch their canoes from this location to transport trade goods thousands of miles into the interior of North America
lands. At that time the Lachine Rapids prevented large ships from going any further west along the Saint Lawrence River.
A stone warehouse was erected in 1803 to store the furs gathered as a result of fur trade. It is now a Parks Canada museum dedicated to the history of this strategic location as a departure and arrival point for fur trading expeditions. The site is separate from Lachine Canal National Historic Site, with which it is inextricably connected.
Montreal was the start of nearly all westward canoe routes. See Canadian canoe routes (early). Here furs were transferred from canoe to ship and trade goods from ship to canoe. A natural transfer point was the west end of Montreal Island since goods could be carted over a nine-mile road around the Lachine Rapids.Parks Canada acquired the warehouse in 1977 and in 1985 opened a museum.