Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal
, is a Roman Catholic minor basilica and national shrine on the west slope of Mount Royal in Montreal
In 1904, Saint André Bessette, C.S.C., began the construction of St. Joseph, a small chapel on the slopes of Mont Royal near Notre Dame College. Soon the growing number of visitors made it too small. Even though it was enlarged, a larger church was needed and in 1917 one was completed and has a seating capacity of 1,000.
On October 19, 2004, the Oratory held its centennial. All the bells of all the churches on the island of Montreal were supposed to ring at 9:00 a.m., though not all churches participated. At 9:05 a.m., the basilica rang its bell in response and celebration.In 2004, the Oratory was designated a National Historic Site of Canada on the occasion of its 100th anniversary.