Saint Helen's Island is an island in the Saint Lawrence River, in the territory of the city of Montreal
. It is situated immediately southeast of the Island of Montreal, in the extreme southwest of Quebec
. It forms part of the Hochelaga Archipelago. The Le Moyne Channel separates it from Île Notre-Dame. Saint Helen's Island and Île Notre-Dame together make up Parc Jean-Drapeau
(formerly Parc des Îles).
It was named in 1611 by Samuel de Champlain in honour of his wife, Hélène de Champlain, née Boullé. The island belonged to the Le Moyne family of Longueuil
from 1665 until 1818, when it was purchased by the British government. A fort, powderhouse and blockhouse were built on the island as defences for the city, in consequence of the War of 1812.
Several important attractions are found on the island, including the Stewart Museum (Fort de l'Île Sainte-Hélène), the La Ronde
amusement park, the Biosphere (an interpretative museum about the Saint Lawrence River installed in the former American Pavilion from Expo), and an Aquatic Complex (French Complexe aquatique de l'île Sainte-Hélène) that includes 3 exterior pools.
The F1 Canadian Grand Prix has run on the island every June since 1978. The park is a primary recreational site for Montrealers and hosts frequent concerts and shows, including the L’International des Feux Loto-Québec international fireworks competition and the annual Osheaga music festival.
The island can be accessed by public transit, by car, by bicycle or by foot. The Concordia Bridge links St. Helen's Island to Montreal's Cité du Havre neighbourhood on the Island of Montreal as well as Île Notre-Dame (which itself is connected to Saint-Lambert
on the south shore by bicycle paths.