Fort George (named after King George II of Great Britain) is a National Historic Site in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and was established during Father Le Loutre's War. A series of four different defensive fortifications have occupied the summit of Citadel Hill since this time, with the construction and levelling resulting in the summit of the hill being dropped by ten to twelve metres.
The first fort was simply a small redoubt which stood near the summit with a flagstaff and guardhouse. The first fort was part of the western perimeter wall for the old city which was protected by five stockaded forts. The others were Horsemans Fort, Cornwallis Fort, Fort Lutrell and Grenadier Fort. (The British built Fort Charlotte - named after King George's wife Charlotte - on Georges Island the following year in 1750.) No traces of any regular or permanent fortification appear on Citadel Hill until the commencement of the American Revolution.