Empress is a village located along the Alberta/Saskatchewan border; in southern Alberta 121 kilometres (75 mi) north of Medicine Hat. The town was named, in 1913, for Queen Victoria, who was also Empress of India. In the past known as the "Hub of the West" connected major cities together by Canadian Pacific Railway.
It is located at the confluence of Red Deer River and South Saskatchewan River, at an elevation of 650 metres (2,130 ft). It is connected to Buffalo Trail by Highway 899 and Highway 562.
In the 2011 Census, the Village of Empress had a population of 188 living in 69 of its 73 total dwellings, a 38.2% change from its 2006 population of 136. With a land area of 1.75 km2 (0.68 sq mi), it had a population density of 107.4/km2 (278.2/sq mi) in 2011.
In 2006, Empress had a population of 136 living in 76 dwellings, a 20.5% decrease from 2001. The village had a land area of 1.75 km2 (0.68 sq mi) and a population density of 77.8 /km2 (202 /sq mi).