Big Valley is a village in central Alberta south east of Red Deer. It is located 32 km (20 mi) south of Stettler and 64 km (40 mi) north of Drumheller on Highway 56 in the County of Stettler. Big Valley Alberta began to be settled even before 1910; people realized the value of the rich soil and natural grass known as "Prairie Wool". Settlers began cattle farming operations and the town expanded. The Imperial Lease of land south east of Big Valley consisted of thousands of acres of land owned by Pat Burns. Most of the land became an ecological reserve to preserve its natural flora.
In 1911 the Canadian Northern Railway (CNR) began to lay track through Big Valley. In 1912 Big Valley built a thriving terminal with a big "roundhouse," stockyards, rail yards, water tower, coal-dock, general railway maintenance and repair facilities. After the merger of Canadian Northern Railway and Grand Trunk Pacific railways to create Canadian National Railway (CNR) they believed there was no need of a railway to go through Big Valley. There are still the remains of the railway you can see with a walking self-tour.