Kilifarevo is a small town in central northern Bulgaria, administratively part of Veliko Tarnovo municipality, Veliko Tarnovo Province. Previously a village, it was proclaimed a town in 1973. Ruins and remains are proof ot the presence of civilization in the neighbouring area since the times of the Thracians.
A fortress which guarded a pass through the Balkan Mountains existed nearby during the Roman Empire. During the Second Bulgarian Empire and more precisely the rule of Ivan Alexander (1331–1371), Kilifarevo was a centre of literary activity and the site of Theodosius of Tarnovo's school and monastery which actively promoted the spiritual practice of hesychasm.