Located at the center of Sao Paulo right next to the financial district, Sao Bento Monastery is attached to a church originally dating back to the 16th century. The monks here sing a Gregoriaan chant at daybreak everyday. A mandatory stop for most visitors to Sao Paulo, the monastery architecture is typical from XVII century.
The present structure of the Sao Bento Monastery was built between 1910 to 1922, and is based on eclectic German tradition designed by architect Richard Bernd. Internal decoration of this church consists of frescoes and murals which were made by Benedictian German monk D. Adelbert Gresnicht who came to Brazil in 1913.