The transport that links Rio de Janeiro city of Niterói to the Baía de Guanabara by a waterway exists since 1853, that started with the creation of the company Nichteroy navigation. These companies were however changing from time to time. As Cantareira in 1869, Carioca in 1946, and eventually the control was passed onto the Union by the President after a cycle of strikes in 1959. The Costa e Silva bridge was built during the 1970s by the President, Rio-Niterói. Over these years, the number of buses on these routes have increased causing unreasonable decrease of passengers on ferries. In February 12, 1998, on a private initiative, grant CONERJ was rewarded to the administer, creating Barcas S.A. These investments were directed to reforms and new vessels were deployed on these lines.