Skender Vakuf is a town and municipality in central Bosnia and Herzegovina. It lies about 40 kilometres (25 mi) south-east of Banja Luka and is part of the Republika Srpska entity. In 1992, during the Bosnian War, the town was renamed from Skender Vakuf (approx. "Alexander's Endowment") to Kneževo ("Prince's Town") as part of the "language war" or "linguistic cleansing".. (The old, "Bosnian" name remains in use in some circles, but is not mentioned once on the municipality's home page.) Part of the municipality was split off to form the municipality of Dobretići in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina entity.
The area was settled already in the Roman era, as is indicated by the remains of Roman Basilicas in Imljani and Javorani, and remains of the Roman road from Servitium (Banja Luka) to Levsaba (Travnik) were also found in the vicinity. Tombstones of Stećak type date back into the 14th/15th century, when the area was part of the Kingdom of Bosnia. The most famous are from the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1463 the town became part of the Ottoman Empire and Islam was to become the dominant religion of the region. The charitable endowment (vakuf) that is reflected in the town's traditional name Skender Vakuf (after Ali-dedo Skender) contributed to urbanization. The Old Mosque was significant and one of the first in the region. It was destroyed, along with the New Mosque, in the Bosnian War in 1992. A significant holy site of Islam is also nearby, in Ajvatovica.