Foča is a town and municipality in southeastern Bosnia and Herzegovina on the Drina river, in the Foča Region of the Republika Srpska entity. The town was known as Hotča during medieval times. It was then known as a trading centre on route between Ragusa (now Dubrovnik) and Constantinople (now Istanbul, Turkey). With Gornje Podrinje Foča was part of the old Serbian State up to 1376, when it was attached to the Bosnian State under the reign of King Tvrtko. After Tvrtko's death the town was ruled by the Hum Dukes among whom the best known was Herzog Stjepan.
In 1992, the city came under the control of Serbian paramilitaries. Most of the Bosniaks were expelled from the area. Foča was also the site of a rape camp in the Partizan hall which was set up by the Republika Srpska authorities in which hundreds of Bosniak women were raped.