Exuma is a district of the Bahamas, consisting of over 360 islands (or cays). The largest of the cays is Great Exuma, which is 37 mi (60 km) in length and joined to another island, Little Exuma by a small bridge. The capital and largest city in the district is George Town (permanent population 1,000), founded 1793 and located on Great Exuma. The Tropic of Cancer runs across a beach close to the city. The entire island chain is 130 mi (209 km) long and 27 sq. mi (72 km²) in area.
Exuma was settled in or around 1783 by American loyalists fleeing the Revolutionary War. The expatriates brought a cotton plantation economy to the islands. George Town was named in honor of George III, to whom the settlers maintained their loyalty. A few smaller Cays still remain grandfathered as partially or wholly private, (still referred to as part of the Exuma-Bahamas Cays). Located by three digit suffix number (ex. Exuma xxx) Most noted Exuma 642, and 643 which in recent years, receding shorelines have shortened the lifespan of these particular adjoined cays.