These were the major ore findings in the Landeck district. The ore was minded at about 2500 to 3000 meters altitude. Mining unions were formed as early as 1539. From 1610 to 1858, for nearly 250 years, mining stood still and the mining deposits were nearly forgotten as they were covered by snow and ice. Therefore the operation was closed in 1910 and the expensive plants were let to rack and ruin. In 1950 the tunnels were renovated by the Bleiberger mining union.
The planned reviving of ore mining was thwarted by the falling of the lead prices on the World market. Since then the mining plant, the accommodation of body of miners high above the Platzer Alm pasture and the ore processing below the alpine pasture have started to go to ruin.
The ruins are now listed monuments.
Discount: Free of charge
Tösens silver mine
A- 6541 Tösens, Austria