Prägraten was part of the parish of Virgen. Yet, there was a small Chapel in Prägraten, which was built in the 12th century and consecrated to the apostle Andreas. The Gothic frescos in the presbyterium have their origin in the 15th century (around 1430) and rank among the best works of a local painter.
At the beginning of the 16th century the chapel was extended and newly consecrated in 1516. In 1822/23 the building was extended, made broader, and Baroque ornaments were added. Most of the statues were created by local sculptor Patterer from Hopfgarten in the Defereggen valley. In the course of the last extension in 1961, Wilhelm Köberl, an artist from Innsbruck, painted a Baroque-style fresco.