According to inscriptions in the ancient choir´s wall the church was built or rebuilt in 1483, under the reign of the Walchen Dynasty.
The most precious and remarkable feature in the church´s interior is a late-Gothic (around 1510) statue made of lime wood of the Virgin Mary with her child, sitting on the moon´s crescent. After an unsuccessful renovation in the year 1967 the original statue, designed by Elisabeth Bauer-Debois, was uncovered in 1971.
The church tower is dating back to the 13th century and belonged, probably, to the former castle or fortress tower. This outstanding steeple is characterized by little pillars and small corner towers supported by Gothic-style consoles in between the oriels of each wall. It´s 28m high tower doesn´t have a spire because the church is consecrated to John the Baptist who was decapitated.
4341 Arbing, Austria
Tel.: +43 (7269) 387