The building of the church started in 1395. At that time the permission of the bishop of Chur in Switzerland was needed. The first deceased were buried on the cemetery in 1383. Until that day they had to be carried over the Futschöl pass into the neigbouring canton of Engadin and were buried in the "Galtür Cemetery", which can still be visited today.
On August 24, 1622 the then hostile people from the Engadin came to Galtür and plundered the whole village, together with the church. Only the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary stayed intact. Around 1800 the church got its first organ. From 1966 - 1968 the nave was extended and the church was renovated. The World-famous architect Prof. Clemens Holzmeister was in charge of this renovation.
Mon, Thu at 5:00 pm Tue,
Wed, Fri, Sat at 7:00 am
Sat at 7:30 pm
Sun at 9:00 am + 5:00 pm
The church is open daily from 08:00 am to 6:00 pm