The Baroque castle lies at the eastern shore of the Neusiedlersee lake and can be reached from Vienna via the A4 motorway whithin one hour.
Halbturn castle is the most important secular building of Baroque building art. In 1711 Lukas von Hildebrandt built the castle which served as a hunting and summer residence for the Habsburg family. The ceiling fresco, painted by Franz Anton Maulpertsch, shows the "Allegorie der Zeit und des Lichtes", a commissioned work orderd by Queen Maria Theresia in 1765.
Today the castle is owned by Baron Paul Waldpott-Bassenheim. Nearly destroyed during a fire in 1949, Halbturn castle nowadays serves as an exhibition place with international reputation since 1974.