The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is a panoramic road in Austria, in the state of Salzburg. It connects the state of Salzburg with the state of Carinthia. It is named after the Großglockner, Austria's highest mountain. It leads with numbered hairpin curves to the Kaiser Franz Josefs Höhe Visitors' Centre, with a panoramic view of the Pasterze Glacier and the Großglockner itself. The road is a toll road, with toll booths at Ferleiten in the direction of Salzburg. Motorists arriving from the south from Carinthia come through Heiligenblut.
In the years 1936 and 1937, 350 men shovelled 250,000 cubic metres (8,800,000 cu ft) of snow in an average of seventy days to keep at least one lane on the road free. Since 1953, the five Wallack rotary plows, and twelve GROHAG workers, have been clearing 600,000 to 800,000 cubic metres (21,000,000 to 28,000,000 cu ft) of snow from the road and parking areas in around fourteen days every year in April. In 1937, the road could only be traversed for 132 days, but in 1963 the road could be traversed for 276 days. The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is normally open from the beginning of May to the end of October.
- Usually the road opens in first days of May
- Until 15 June: 6am - 8pm
- 16 June until 15 September: 5am - 9.30pm
- 16 September until end of October: 6am - 7.30pm
- Last admission: 45 min. before night closure