Finkenstein am Faaker See is a market town in the district of Villach-Land in Carinthia, Austria. It is located south of Villach and the Drava river, on the northern slope of the Karavanke range with Mt. Mittagskogel (Kepa), close to the border with Slovenia. The municipal area comprises the southern shore of Lake Faak.
It is named after Finkenstein Castle, a possession of the Carinthian dukes, which was first mentioned in a 1142 deed. Lend to the ducal ministeriales, the Lords of Finkenstein, it was an important outpost overlooking the Gail valley and the Carinthian estates of the Bamberg prince-bishops around Villach and Federaun Castle vis-à-vis. In 1508 the Habsbur@