The abbey was founded in 1202 by Leopold VI (the Glorious), Duke of Babenberg, who is also buried here. The coat of arms of Austria (red-white-red) was first mentioned in the document, with which Frederic II (the Quarrelsome), son of Leopold VI, confirmed the foundation of the abbey.
Lilienfeld Abbey, built in the late Romanesque and the early Gothic style, is the largest medieval abbey of Austria. Visitors are attracted by the Baroque furnishing of the church (1730 - 1746), the Baroque library, the permanent Babenberg exhibition and a big relic of the cross of Christ. An interesting detail is that the abbey was closed in 1789, only to be opened again in 1790.