The beautiful Parish Church is Zell´s most precious possession.
Zell was founded around 1300 as a tiny hermitage settlement. In the course of the 14th century (its foundation dates back to the year 1353) Zell became a well-known place of pilgrimage, especially its beautifully decorated Chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Around 1500 (probably in 1497) the present church in Gothic style was built.
The parish priest commissioned Veit Adam Vogl to create two outstanding side altars. Thomas Schwanthaler built the wonderful high altar in 1669, one of his most renowned pieces of art. In 1784 Zell became an independent parish.
Others: Guided Tours, parking, Restaurant
Languages: German, English, French, Hungarian
Suitable for: Families, Groups, Seniors
Gemeinde Zell am Pettenfirst
Ort 32 4842
Zell am Pettenfirst, Austria