Newport is a suburb of Melbourne, Australia, 7 km south-west from Melbourne's CBD with a population of 11,244 at the 2006 Census. The Local Government Area is the City of Hobsons Bay. Newport is approximately 15 minutes by car from Melbourne via the West Gate Freeway or a 20-minute train journey from Flinders Street Station.
The Yalukit-willam people of the Boon-wurrung Country are the traditional owners of land known as Newport, with a well researched connection to the area beyond 30,000 years. First contact came with European sealers (1803-1834) and followed a pattern of violence typical across Australia at the time. In 1835 the arrival of John Batman saw a treaty established and a period of relative peace. However despite this the plight of the Australian Aborigines was dire, as they were increasingly denied ownership and access to their lands.
European settlement began in Newport at what was then called Williamstown Junction around 1862, with a Telegraph Office and Post Office by 1869. It was renamed Newport in 1881. The Newport Railway Workshops played a key role in the development of the suburb, formerly the main workshops of Victorian Railways. The workshops are just south of the Newport Railway Station. The Newport Power Station is another feature of the suburb, the chimney of which remains one of the tallest towers in Melbourne at 183 metres. The original coal-fired generators were replaced in 1981 with a single 500MW gas-fired generator and operates during peak-load periods.