The Cathedral Church of St David in Hobart is the principal Anglican church in Tasmania. The dean (as of March 2009) is the Very Reverend Richard Humphrey.
Consecrated in 1874, St David's is the Bishop of Tasmania's principal place of teaching. It is a cathedral because it is the place where the bishop's cathedra or seat is placed. It is also the venue for great occasions of diocese, city and state.
The mission of St David's is "Proclaiming Jesus as Lord in the Heart of Hobart to build a community of living faith, profound hope and practical love."
The building sits on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets and forms one quadrant of what is considered to be the finest Georgian streetscape in Australia. On the pinnacles of each gable is a quatrefoil, repeated on the extremities of the large crucifix of the rood screen which dominates the sanctuary.