Smeaton is a rural town in the state of Victoria, Australia near the town of Creswick. At the 2006 census, Smeaton had a population of 250. The town was founded by Scottish settler Captain John Hepburn who was a colonial squatter in the 1840s. Hepburn held under Government licence about 20,000 acres (80 km²) for his sheep and cattle run which he drove overland from Sydney. He built Smeaton House in 1849 with the assistance of British colonial migrants. Hepburn became a very high profile figure in the district, promoted gold mines and became a Justice of the Peace before he died in 1860.