The Silvan Reservoir is located in Silvan about 40 km East of Melbourne, Victoria. The reservoir's history dates back to 1914 when a severe drought forced Melburnians to search for a new water supply to handle their ever increasing needs. Construction took place between the years of 1926 and 1931. When it was finally completed it was 644 m long, 219 m wide, and 43 m deep.
Silvan Reservoir was officially opened on 7 July 1931. In 1983, extra work was needed, as the wall had started to show cracks and it was at this time that the picnic ground was added to the Silvan Reservoir Park.