Royal Darwin Hospital (RDH) is a 345-bed teaching hospital located in the northern suburbs of Darwin, Northern Territory.
The first hospital of the settlement of Palmerston (later Darwin) was built in 1874. The hospital was built on Packard Street overlooking Doctors Gully under the authority of Dr James Millner. By 1878, the hospital was improved with stone. During the next 40 years, the hospital was administered by South Australia. In 1911, the Commonwealth Government assumed control. Construction of an 89-bed hospital fronting Lambell Terrace commenced in 1941 to cater for the Darwin area population of 4,000. The new hospital opened 2 February 1942 and was bombed just 17 days later during the Bombing of Darwin.