Loftus railway station is located on the CityRail Illawarra line in the southern Sydney suburb of Loftus. It consists of two side platforms connected by a pedestrian overbridge with ramps. The ticket office and station building is located on the up (citybound) platform. The original station opened in 1886, and the present station in its current location opened in 1979.
Loftus was the former junction of the branch line to the Royal National Park which opened in 1886 and branched off immediately south of the station. The branch line closed in 1991. It has since been converted into a tram line and the connection to the Illawarra Line severed. The tram line operates from the Sydney Tramway Museum, which sits beside the railway station. The station is served by two trains per hour each way, with additional trains during weekday peak hours.