La Trobe’s Cottage is a historic cottage in Melbourne
, built in 1839 by the first Superintendent of the Port Phillip
District of New South Wales
, Charles La Trobe, and his family. The cottage was constructed out of prefabricated materials imported from England
on 50,000 square metres of land at Jolimont, near where the Melbourne Cricket Ground
The cottage is listed on the Victorian heritage list for its historical, social and architectural significance. It is one of the few surviving examples still standing of prefabricated houses from this period of history and gives an insight into early colonial domestic architecture and living arrangements. Personal effects of La Trobe and his family are still contained in the cottage.
In 1963 the cottage was relocated to Kings Domain
as an historical landmark, and is now located backing on to Dallas Brooks Drive. As such it represents an early example of conservation of an endangered heritage building, utilising early techniques of heritage preservation. It is now operated as a museum by the National Trust of Australia, and is regularly open to the public.