Houghton is a small town near Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the Adelaide Hills, in the City of Tea Tree Gully and the Adelaide Hills Council local government areas between Tea Tree Gully and Inglewood on the North East Road. The 162-hectare Highercombe estate was settled by George Anstey in 1841, who named it after his original family home near Dulverton, Somerset. The present-day Highercombe golf course south of the townsite was part of this estate. In 1857, the house, now with sixteen rooms, and estate was purchased by George Marsden Waterhouse, who became Premier of South Australia in 1861. In 1929, it was burnt in a fire, but was rebuilt on a smaller scale.