Edinburgh Gardens is a large park located in North Fitzroy. It is bounded by Brunswick Street and St Georges Road to the west, the curve of Alfred Crescent to the north and east, and Freeman Street to the south. It was created from a grant of land in March 1862 by Queen Victoria and laid out by Clement Hodgkinson, who designed many of Melbourne's parks and gardens,. At approximately 24 hectares (59 acres) in size, the park is large by inner urban standards. Edinburgh Gardens were nominated for inclusion on the Register of the National Estate in 1978.