Carrieton is a small town situated in the Flinders Ranges of South Australia. It is located between the towns of Orroroo to the south and Cradock to the north. Originally opened in 1877 as "Yanyarrie Whim", (Yanyarrie is in the local indigenous dialect "eagle feathers") with the construction of a post office, the settlement was renamed in 1888 as Carrieton, after the daughter of Govenor Jervois, Lucy Caroline. The town was connected by rail to Peterborough and Quorn by rail in December 1881, and was served by a Class 1 station. A large Goods Shed, and fettlers cottage were also constructed. Passenger services were discontinued during 1969, when the South Australian Railways withdraw the railcar service.