Burwood is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 km east from Melbourne's central business district. Its Local Government Area is largely the City of Whitehorse but includes the City of Monash in its south west corner. At the 2006 Census, Burwood had a population of 11,886.
The first settlement in the area, known as Ballyshanassy was surveyed in 1858. The settlement changed name to Norwood and subsequently Burwood in 1879. The Post Office opened on 1 May 1853 as Ballyshanassy and was renamed Burwood around June 1879. The name "Burwood" (later "Invergowrie") was the name of a house built by Sir James Palmer in Hawthorn West in 1852. The original settlement was centred near Burwood Cemetery and the Police Station, but the focus shifted to the intersection of Warrigal Road and Toorak Road with later commercial development. The suburb later spread westwards to the Hartwell Railway Station, which was renamed as Burwood Railway Station.