Burnie is a port town on the north-west coast of Tasmania, originally settled in 1827 as Emu Bay. The town was renamed for William Burnie-a director of the Van Diemen's Land Company-in the early 1840s. The town boundary usually includes the outer town of Somerset. Burnie is governed by the City of Burnie Local Government Area. The estimated population is 21,000. Key Industries: Heavy machinery manufacturing; forestry; farming. The Burnie port is the fifth largest container port in Australia.
Tasmania's third largest hospital, North West Regional Hospital, is located on Brickport Road in Burnie. It provides both in and outpatient services for general medicine, general surgery, orthopaedics and paediatrics. Burnie has a central business district with several national retailers.