Baudin Beach is a locality in South Australia located on Dudley Peninsula on the north coast of Kangaroo Island about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) west of Penneshaw. It is named in 2002 after the French navigator Nicolas Baudin who in 1803 anchored in nearby Hog Bay to take on fresh water.
Prior to 2002, Baudin Beach was known as American Beach,being the name given to the land subdivision of the area in 1966. The name was changed in 2002 to avoid confusion with the originally named American Beach which is located a short distance north of the subdivision. The area was once known as Deep Creek Farm, owned by Bruce Bates of Penneshaw. Bates sold the land to Clem Bessell in 1966, who in conjunction with real estate agent Cliff Hawkins subdivided the area which is still often referred to as "Bessell's".
The name Baudin Beach was officially gazetted in March 2002.
Baudin Beach comprises 207 allotments, each mainly in excess of 800 square metres. Some 30% of the allotments are a mix of permanent and holiday homes, the remaining allotments being undeveloped.
There are no shopping facilities in Baudin Beach, and the area is without a reticulated water supply. However, Kangaroo Island Council plans to develop facilities. Boat launching is possible from a recently improved boat ramp. Next to the boat ramp is a copper sculpture, unveiled in 2002, of Mary Beckwith, reputedly the first recorded European woman to set foot on South Australian soil.
The waters of Eastern Cove (Nepean Bay) immediately adjoining Baudin Beach are renowned for King George whiting.