Magdalena is a town in Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. It is the head town of the Magdalena Partido. Founded in 1611, the hamlet grew slowly until the late nineteenth century. The Parish of Santa María Magdalena (Mary Magdalene), consecrated in 1776, inaugurated its current temple in 1860. The Italianate City Hall, designed by Pedro Cavalli, was completed in 1877, and the Teatro Español, in 1899. The nearby Parque Costero del Sur, site of the El Ancla pre-Columbian settlement, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984.