The Eduardo Sívori Museum (Museo de Artes Plásticas Eduardo Sívori) is a municipal art museum in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Founded on the initiative of city councilman Fernando Ghio, who proposed the creation of a municipal museum devoted to Argentine artists (as a more specialized counterpart of the National Museum of Fine Arts) in 1933, the institution was inaugurated in 1938 as the "Municipal Museum of Fine Arts, Applied Art, and Comparative Art." The museum became the venue for the annual municipal art salon, first held in 1936.
The museum was originally housed in the City Council Building. Its second director, Carlos Abregú Virreira, drew from his rustic, Santiago del Estero Province background to augment the museum's collection with works from the Argentine Northwest during his 1943-51 tenure. The museum was renamed in 1946 for the "portaiteur of the pampas," the late Realist painter Eduardo Sívori; Sívori had founded the first artisan guild in Argentina, the Society for the Promotion of Fine Arts, and was the first President of the National Academy of Fine Arts.
The installation of the Eva Perón Foundation in the City Council Building led to the museum's 1952 relocation to an Avenida del Libertador house which had belonged to a patron of traditional Argentine art, Félix Bunge (1894-1935). Its relocation involved the transfer of some 130 works, however, to other institutions and over the objection to the Sívori Museum authorities. The event, moreover, began an era of impermanence and uncertainty for the museum.
The establishment of one of these recipients of this transfer, the José Hernandez Museum, in 1955, and the Bunge house's designation as its site led to the Sívori's move to a Retiro neighborhood mansion. The ongoing, northward expansion of Ninth of July Avenue forced yet another relocation, to the new San Martín Cultural Center, in 1961. It was merged with the Buenos Aires Museum of Modern Art between 1975 and 1977 as the Municipal Museum of Visual Arts, and did not regain its administrative autonomy until 1982; its collections continued to grow through acquisitions, as well as private donations and bequethals.