Avenida Rivadavia is one of the principal thoroughfares in Buenos Aires, Argentina, extending 23 miles (37 km) from downtown Buenos Aires to the western suburb of Merlo. Upon the designation of the Viceroyalty of the Río de La Plata by the Spanish Empire in 1776, the "Road of the Kingdom of Heaven" leading into Buenos Aires from the east was designated a Camino Real, a "Royal Road" fit for a Viceroy, and afforded improvements and some security.
Avenida Rivadavia begins at a crosswalk between the Casa Rosada and the State Intelligence Bureau, on the northeast corner of Buenos Aires' storied Plaza de Mayo. Running westward along the plaza, the avenue passes along the National Bank of Argentina, the Metropolitan Cathedral of Buenos Aires and City Hall before entering the old financial district.
Crossing the pedestrian Calle Florida and the massive Avenida 9 de Julio, Rivadavia merges with Avenida de Mayo at Congressional Plaza, whereby it passes between the Argentine Congress and the Art nouveau Café El Molino. Passing through Plaza Miserere in the Balvanera area, nearby points of interest include the eclectic Venetian Casa de los Pavos Reales, and, in Almagro, the Art Nouveau Café Las Violetas. Along Rivadavia Park, in the Caballito area, the avenue affords a view of the Monument to Simón Bolívar, founding father to Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela.
Nearly 10 miles (16 km) west of its outset by the Casa Rosada, Rivadavia Avenue passes under the General Paz Beltway into Ciudadela, thus leaving the Federal District for the Province of Buenos Aires. The thoroughfare continues though the Buenos Aires suburbs of Morón, Castelar, Ituzaingó, San Antonio de Padua and Merlo before crossing the Reconquista River and becoming Bartolomé Mitre Avenue. Mitre Avenue travels west another 2.5 miles (4.0 km) before merging with Piovano Avenue in Moreno.