Coulman Island is an ice-covered island, composed of several connected shield volcanos in the Ross Sea off Antarctica. The Coulman caldera, 3 miles (4.8 km) wide and 2,300 feet (701 m) deep, can be found on the south end of the island. Emperor penguins inhabit this island. Coulman Island lies within the boundaries of Ross Dependency, which is claimed by New Zealand, whose claim is unrecognised by most other states. It was discovered in 1841 by Sir James Clark Ross who named it for his father-in-law, Thomas Coulman. A notable landmark of this island is Cape Anne, the south-easternmost point of the island, so named by Sir James Clark Ross for his wife. The island has an elevation of 1,998 metres (6,555 ft).