Tu Hieu Pagoda is located at Duong Xuan Thuong III Hamlet in Thuy Xuan Village, 5km southwest of Hue City. Pagoda was built in the shape of the Chinese character "Khau" (mouth), with the main building consisting of three rooms and two wings. It faces the southeast and uses Ngu Binh Mount as a front screen.
The pagoda was originally a small hut built by Nhat Dinh in 1843, who was formerly recognized by royal authority as the monk of Giac Hoang Pagoda. In 1848, the pagoda was restored by monk Cung Ky with the help of the king's eunuchs and courtiers. Tu Hieu hence became a large pagoda.
The main sanctuary is devoted to the worship of Buddha. Behind there is a room honoring former monks of the pagoda. Across a courtyard, the Quang Hieu Duong Hall houses an altar dedicated to local Buddhist devotees on the right, another to the deity Quan Cong in the center, and a third to eunuchs on the left. A separate altar in this hall honors Le Van Duyet, an outstanding mandarin during the reign of Emperor Gia Long. On the left side of the courtyard is the living quarters of the monks (Ta Lac Thien) and to Tu Hieu right is the guest-house (Huu Ai Nhat).
The entrance gate to the pagoda is a curved two storey structure. On the second storey, a statue of the guardian spirit Ho Phap protects the pagoda. Inside the gate is a crescent-lotus pond. On both sides of the courtyard are stele houses engraved with the history of the pagoda.
- Tomb of Tu Duc is located in a narrow valley in Duong Xuan Thuong Village (currently Thuong Ba…
- Vong Canh hill is 600m from the tombs of Tu Duc and Dong Khanh, 7km from the center of Hue City.…
- Hon Chen Temple is standing just on the bank of the Perfume River inclined to poetic dreams and…